Thursday, April 13, 2006

All about Al Rawabi's and Disco Chai....

Yesterday as I was walking to class, I was passing by Gerstien Library and I happened to see some one drinking juice from Al Rawabi !!! I was really surprised and being myself, I had to go and ask that person how come he was drinking Al Rawabi orange juice! He said that he got it at a store near his house which gets some products from the Middle East..

To fill those who have no clue what I am talking about, Al Rawabi is a famous beverage company dealing with dairy products and fruit juices. Why is it so important to me? It was a part of my childhood..it was a part of growing up for me and in a weird way, its a memoir of my life in Dubai and in my school...

Maybe thats the reason I was very upset during my last visit to school when I found out that they got rid of the Rawabi vending machine! I mean to all it might seem like JUST a machine, but to me and a lot of people it was a part of our schooling.. those fruit cocktails just before Chemisty extra class with Suma ma'am, Orange Carrot before going for dispersal duty, mango juice because its just mango juice.. apple juice as we wait for Esther Praveen to drone more about Integrals.. lemonade after PE with Indu.. I mean a juice for an occasion...

And then, it was a hot spot.. right in the middle of the canteen, it was a place to talk to people from other classes..catch up with old friends and make new ones..

My fondest memories of Al Rawabi and the Canteen as such were probably during the dispersal time, remembering Prashant and Jomy doing their level best to get some order there but failing miserably! And ofcourse the number of love stories that began there, too many to count and more to tell!!

Its funny how sometimes simple simple things like juice can make u so nostalgic.. I got back to res thinking about how great my school life was. People often tell me that university life is the best you will get and you know that from day 1. I wouldn't say that my university lfie is depressing, its as good as it gets, but to me what I did in school, I dont think I can replicate that fun at university.

It might sound odd saying that I had fun studying almost 14 hours a day.. with school, tuitions, personal study an ofcourse the whole extra curricular work load.. I dunno how we squeezed in fun, but we did.. always... I've seen more movies during my grade 12 with my friends then I have seen after coming here to Canada! It was a weird sort of fun and enjoyment and bonding in a different way, how else can studying for a physics final or sitting and working in a chemistry project be 'fun'? But it was..

Its not just friends, it was the teachers, Be in Jessie's cool words or Esther's cold stares or Suma ma'ams smiling face or Rajgopals' forgetful looks..they all added up to something so memorable and magical... Its hard to believe that its already over 2 years since I passed out.. it seems only like yesterday we had the farewell..and the boards..and then the glorious summer after...


Today, all of us from '04 batch are sitting in different parts of the world from Vancourver to Australia.. but one thing bonds us all... we will share fond bitter sweet memories about school.. knowingly unknowingly OOEHS had bonded us all together in a way that its hard to break that bond and even though you wanna keep telling yourself that it doesnt exist, the fact is, it does..

Here is an ode to all the wonderful memories and to all the great times I've had..rather all of us Our Own freaks had at OOEHS DXB !

6 Comments:

Blogger radio™ said...

There's been a link to your blog for quite sometime now :p.

Pocari! I miss theee..

5:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mads me missin skool now. :( u remember v spoke abt al rawabi machine jus sum days bak. i miss canteen. tat was the hang out in skool. i remember the 4th grade kids troublin jomy. hahah those were days.

2:52 PM  
Blogger radio™ said...

And I'd thought you were roommates! lol

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

boo!

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok i was just testing that - its me from across the pond.

Your post made me miss school and home a lot:( ah well, only a couple of months to go and then freedom again. lol when we will ever get holidays like this when working???

lots of love
me

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heyyyy mangu... sweet article... im mad at u tho... damn u female made me miss school so much... i read this article mannnny days ago but never had the time to actly post a comment tho i dd want to... well i was jus bored studyin for my lab exam for 2mm so thot i'd read it again n it only makes me miss school more now... i'll cya in summer... am comin... yayyy!!! tk care...
dhrishya

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home